If you are good with your hands and are looking for long term exterior home improvement project, building a deck may be exactly what you are looking for. Irrespective of whether or not you have a pool, an outdoor deck can completely transform your home.
Deck Building Considerations
Before you get start with your deck building project, it is important you find out the basic administrative and logistics details to build a deck.
- Ensure you check up with your local government or city council about the regulations for building a deck at your home.
- Make sure you abide by any building codes and construction practices regulations that your area might have.
- Give your deck building project some good thought because it is a huge project. Think seriously whether you want to build a deck yourself or hire someone else to do it.
- Consider the materials you will be using to build your deck.
- Have a good idea of how much money you want to spend because building a deck is not necessarily a cheap project. If you hire a professional to do it, be sure to consider their fees as part of the costs as well.
Once you have taken all of the above points into consideration, you can start building a deck for your home.
Deck Installation: Tips For Deck Building
If you are really keen on building a deck for your home, these tips might come in handy.
- Plan your project well and ensure you have a design plan before you start your deck building project. Make sure you know and have access to all the materials you need and will be using. If you need a design plan, you can easily get one from the local home improvement store or even download one from the internet. This is the stage where you must ensure you are complying with all government and council regulations for building a deck as well.
- Organize all your materials and take count of how many deck boards, joists, footers etc are required for your deck building project.
- Once you have organized all your materials, start putting them all in place. Start with placing the space boards in place by hammering them in to form a frame for your deck. Follow this up by placing the footers and securing the footers to the frame boards.
- After this you need to build the joists and place the deck boards. You will need to cut the deck boards depending on the size of your deck.
Once everything is in place, you need to weatherproof your deck with a sealer that will protect your deck from weather elements like rain, snow or even harsh sun. Be sure to follow guidelines and be prepared for some hard work if you are keen on building a deck.