Maintaining a good lawn requires a lot of work on the part of a gardener and often even the most passionate gardener may not have the time for regular mowing or weeding. In such a situation, an artificial grass lawn often works out to be a fantastic option. Yes, it may be an expensive investment but in the long run it looks beautiful and requires very little maintenance.
Why You Should Install Artificial Grass
If you are not convinced about artificial turf installation, you probably need a list of reasons as to why you should consider artificial grass turf. Here are a list of advantages of having an artificial grass lawn and not real grass:
- Little maintenance – Maintaining a real grass lawn requires a lot of work but on the other hand an artificial turf installation will need very little maintenance once it has been installed.
- Ideal for water restrictions – Gardeners living in areas with water restrictions or water shortage often find it very hard to maintain a healthy lawn that they can water regularly. However, an artificial grass lawn requires no watering and is therefore ideal for these areas without worrying about dehydration.
- Suited for non-gardeners – If you are a non-gardener and looking for an easy and convenient way to get a beautiful, no hassle lawn, artificial grass turf is your best option. You have to do close to nothing and will have a pretty lawn all year round.
- Cost effective – Artificial turf installation may come with a large outlay cost but once you have made this investment, you have minimal costs to maintain your artificial grass lawn. Due to almost zero maintenance requirements and no watering needs, an artificial grass lawn works out to be very cost effective in the long run. If you choose to install artificial grass instead of hiring someone to do it, you will save even more money.
Artificial Grass Installtion: Do It Yourself
If you are keen to install your artificial grass lawn yourself, it is possible and could cut down your costs drastically. Here are some tips you might find useful.
- Clean the area you plan on using for your artificial turf installation. Clear all traces of old grass, weeds, dirt etc.
- The area must be leveled so your artificial grass turf is not uneven. If the ground is uneven you might have to lay out some sand to level out the area before laying out the artificial grass.
- Take measurements of the area so you know how much artificial turf you will need for your artificial grass lawn.
- Start laying out the artificial grass and trim it as and when necessary. If you plan on using smaller pieces for your artificial turf installation, then start at the center and start moving towards the outside.
- Laying out the artificial grass turf is not enough, you have to secure it in place with the special glue provided. You might need to use additional nails or weights to ensure the adhesive holds the artificial grass turf in place.
- In order to ensure your artificial grass lawn looks real, you must use some infills such as sand or other soil granules to create a natural effect.
The steps are simple but it is a lot of hard working installing your artificial grass lawn. However, if you do it yourself, you can save money and in the long run, create a cost effective and beautiful lawn in your yard.